11.22.2005

My Turn

You gave me a card as I passed your row right when I walked down from the stage during our High School graduation. It said “Thank You.” That was the very first card you ever gave me.

Now, after 9 years, it’s my turn to say thanks…

For your sweetness in your own weird way
For not pampering me too much. I became strong and independent because of you
For not giving up on me and our relationship
For trying so hard to be everybody I lost when I left home
For working hard for our future and our future kids’ future
For understanding how much I love my country
For loving my country like I do
For respecting my beliefs even if you don’t agree with some of them
For praying with me everyday
For trying to love my God as much as I do
For helping me be strong when I am weak and homesick
For understanding that I need to find myself in this strange and unfriendly place
For listening to me whine
For whining with me
For making me laugh when you dance
For replacing the toilet paper each time we run out of it
For replacing the trash cans with new bags and taking out the trash
For washing the dishes even if you, too, are tired from work
For fixing up the house when I am too tired and sleepy to fix up
For sweeping the floor
For doing laundry with me
For supplying me with the daily hugs I need that I used to get from people at home
For giving me medicine when you and I thought I was food poisoned
For laying beside me when you see me start to fall asleep
For trying to wake me up to brush my teeth when I fall asleep while watching TV
For getting up when I wake you up to brush your teeth (and wash the dishes)
For talking to me and being my best friend
For being a man. My man.


This list does not even make half of my entire thank you list after spending 105 months with you as a couple and 9 months together as husband and wife. In fact, this list will continue to grow longer as we spend a lifetime together, a lifetime that 9 years ago, I did not even imagine I will spend with you. I’m sure even you had no idea then that you will receive countless thank you’s from me.

For now, I’m saying “Thank you” for things I long wanted to thank you for. I’m giving you back your thank you card. It’s my turn to say “Thank you” back to that man I married, that little boy who gave me the first “Thank You” card I have ever received.

1 Comments:

At 1:38 AM, Blogger the red planet said...

Awwww...this is sooo sweet Mel! Very touching. ü

 

Post a Comment

<< Home