11.07.2008

Eyewitness

Goosebumps.

That’s what I got when I heard America’s new president speak in front of an estimated one million ++ people in Chicago on US election night. I was so moved by his speech, and I’m not even an American. I can’t imagine what Americans felt. Or what African-Americans felt right in that historic moment.

Maybe it wasn’t just Obama’s speech that gave me goosebumps, but the entire setting where it took place – a sea of people that in a way reminded me of EDSA. That familiar patriotic feeling you just can’t deny always tugs at my heartstrings.

But still, somehow, Obama really has that effect on people, that even I, a non-American, was deeply moved, almost to tears. No other president has had that effect on me, except maybe Bill Pullman on ID4 – and that’s not even real.

I feel lucky to be part of this sort of “people power” again, to be alive as another huge mark is made in history.

Good job, America. You gave me hope. And now I can say, I am mighty proud of you.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home