11.23.2005

11/2005 My Thanksgiving Version

It’s really big here, this Thanksgiving holiday. It’s actually an even bigger holiday than Christmas.

Being the curious cat that I was, I asked my officemate about the history of Thanksgiving. Like a five-year-old, I asked so many questions: Why is there a Thanksgiving Holiday? What is its significance to the American History? Why is it celebrated on November? Why turkey?

After he answered most of my questions, I realized that the significance of the holiday is not very much on how it started, but really about celebrating everything worth thanking for, like the year that was, is and will be, like family, like friends.

That sounded good to me, so naki-Thanksgiving ako kahit di ako Amerikano. Here’s my own list of thank-you-for’s (not necessarily by order of priority):

  • Nino. You deserve an entire blog entry of thank you’s.

  • Adam. You gave our family renewed joy and strength.

  • Our apartment. kahit anong reklamo ko about how small it is, I’m thankful that we have a cozy little nook in one of the safest neighborhoods in Manhattan that really costs twice what we pay for, but because Nino’s ninang owns it, we got it for ninang price.

  • Our ultra comfy bed. When it calls to you, it takes extreme will power to resist.

  • My work (gives me shopping money and keeps my mind from rusting)

  • Friends I made from work (I can engage in girl talk and chismis!)

  • Friends and family who visited and/or stayed (and will visit and/or stay) with us in our little apartment (you all know who you are, ang dami nyo to enumerate here, eh). You make the loneliness bearable at least for a couple of days or weeks in a month.

  • Friends introduced to me by those friends and family who visited (I know other people already!)

  • Emails of kwentos and what not from all of you back home and from other parts of the US. I do appreciate your taking time to write me long, detailed letters, or even quick little hello’s.

  • Nino’s safe trip to and from Mexico.

  • Surviving Nino’s trip to Mexico – I had to be alone for the first time. Scary and lonely. But I made it and I’m still sane (I think).

  • My green card. I can come home! I can visit my relatives in Canada (pero wag muna ngayon, the cold will kill me)! I can go practically anywhere and still be able to come back here.

  • Seeing Mayick. As of this writing, we’re on the plane to Seattle to spend Thanksgiving with her.

  • My new-found peace with New York City. Bati na kami.

  • Seeing the sun this morning. I missed you!

  • Simply being alive.

This list can go on and on and on, even if I have an equally long list of rants being here in the US. But it is thanksgiving. I don’t want to ruin the thanksgiving spirit with whining. And thankfully, I guess I’m growing up.

3 Comments:

At 4:49 AM, Blogger MerryCherry said...

so glad you are finally settled and happy in NY:) as in super happy. btw, how do i make you my blogger friend? hehe

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi mare!!! wow, you're not gonna whine?! you've grown up na nga. hehehe. you're so right about having so many things to thank for. in fact, when you feel down and whiny, all you have to think about are your thank yous and then you'll feel so much better...ika nga ni oprah! i miss ya, mare! uwi na si parto soon! sana ikaw din.

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just realized mel, ung font sytle & size sa blog mo is exactly the same as the one(s) you use sa yahoo messenger. ibang kulay nga lang! hahaha! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home